We’re taking a stand against bad fits and broken things. We demand a change in standards, clothes that fit better and last longer. Clothes that save water, carbon, textiles, time and money from going to waste. We want to make change the new standard.
Our mission is to enable the enjoyment of fashion without damage to people or the planet.
At SOJO, our approach to work is orientated around cultivating key behaviours; to that end, we are: Striving for excellence In all that we do. We expect you to go the extra mile and figure out how you can have the greatest impact in your role. We always expect a dedicated approach and a high quality of work and service. Our approach is:
- People orientated - We’re all humans first. So we deeply consider the perspectives of others, listen openly, and speak with care. We help different members of the team if they need it and celebrate each others wins.
- Results driven - At SOJO, our impact is the greatest barometer for success and we believe in focussing on the outcome and output of all our work. We always go for the most efficient and productive route and we reward results with positive feedback.
- Transparency - We can’t always get things right but we believe in always prioritising the openness that enables us to have genuine and transparent conversations. We’re honest with ourselves and with others and we don’t look to find blame but instead focus on how we can always do better.
- Optimism & Joy - Our motivations and work may be as serious as it gets, but we approach the task with a positive attitude. We always believe there is a way to get around every problem and approach things with a solutions focussed-mindset. Both personal and professional human relationships are built on the pleasure of conversation, of shared laughter and emotional appreciation.
We’re currently looking to hire freelance tailors to join our dynamic team, helping to take the SOJO brand and company to it’s next level of growth. Through our in-house operations, in-store activations and pop ups our freelance tailors will work with our in-house tailors and some of the UK’s leading brands and retailers. We’re looking for tailors with a passion for SOJO and our values, a passion and confidence for customer-facing education and service, alongside the right technical expertise to fulfil high volume orders coming through to SOJO’s pop ups and first studio in East London. The successful freelance tailors will also be involved in the operational support and processes required to run pop ups alongside SOJO customer service representatives, for example set up, set down and point of sale systems.
- 3+ years of tailoring experience in a variety of garments and fabrics including cotton, denim, leather, knitwear and satin
- Experience working with customers in person, pinning and customer interactions
- In-depth knowledge of fitting garments, alterations, repairs, re-sizing and quality control
- In-depth knowledge of various fabrics, material properties and clothing construction
- Sound knowledge of pattern cutting, hand sewing and garment decoration
- Strong experience in hemming, taking in at the waist, zip repair, crotch repair, upsizing and shortening of the sleeves
- Strong experience in hand sewing and finishing, including the final decoration such as attaching buttons and labels
- Experience of working with all types of industrial sewing machines and other tailoring / repair equipment including an overlocker and industrial iron to a high standard
- Ability to maintain high standards between each order, with excellent attention to detail and efficient working patterns whilst delivering on time for deadlines
- Good written and spoken English skills
- Desirable: A tailoring qualification
- Leading and supporting our in-house tailors on fulfilling SOJO’’s day-to-day orders at our pop ups and SOJO studio in East London
- Educating customers on the process and craft of alterations and repairs and who SOJO is, why we exist and our mission
- Making key decisions on the alteration and repair of customer garments, commonly including hemming, taking in at the waist, zip repair, crotch repair, shortening of the sleeves, and the use of industrial irons and pressing machines
- Ensuring SOJO orders are organised, labelled and packaged as part of the studio and pop up operational process flows alongside the support of other tailors and the CS team.
- Ensuring that sewing machines and other equipment are in good working order
- Ensuring that the SOJO studio and pop up spaces are kept clean and tidy alongside the rest of the team
- You are willing to be adaptable and flexible as one of SOJO’s freelance tailors at our pop ups around London and at our studio but also willing to learn, challenge and grow yourself throughout your SOJO journey
- You have strong organisational skills when working with high volume orders
- Your attention to detail is exceptional and you always want the best outcome for your garments and your customers to ensure high quality outputs
- You maintain extremely high standards between each order and deliver on time
- You strive to work with a level of excellence at all times no matter what challenges arise
- You have the ability to work on your own and in a team under time constraints
- You ask questions when unsure and provide insights to any challenges you face
- You love to problem solve and collaborate with others to come up with effective solution
What we offer
- £14 - £16 per hour depending on experience and time commitment
- A positive, social and values-led working environment with other SOJO team members
- A beautiful and well lit tailoring studio and/or pop up to work from that is community and sustainability focussed
- Free tailoring and repairs through the SOJO app or web for up to 5 items per year
- Involvement in a role and company with meaningful impact